Windows 8 is the newest operating system from Microsoft and it has really acquired lots of attention from all around the world. People are using Windows 8 by either upgrading from their previous operating system or just want to taste how it will look like by installing it as guest OS. In my previous article, I’ve already covered how to install How to Install Windows 8 Virtually on VMware Player with Windows 7, Vista and Other Operating Systems?. Today I’m going to share how to install Windows 8 on Mac using VMware Fusion and Boot Camp.
Install Windows 8 on MacBook with VMware Fusion:
- VMware Fusion 4 [Download]
- Windows 8 DVD or ISO image
Once done with the above requirements, we can start the installation process by following the below guide step-by-step:
- Install VMware Fusion 4 that you have downloaded earlier.
- Now, start VMware Fusion and”Choose Create New” from the Virtual Machine Library.
- In the Create New Virtual Machine wizard select “Continue without disc”.
- In the fourth step, select “Use operating system installation disc or image” and browse the download location for Windows 8 ISO file and click “Continue”.
- In the next wizard page, make sure to select the operating system and version as Microsoft Windows 8 and click “Continue”.
- Now, next wizard page will offer you to customize the installation, if you are not aware about it then leave it as it is and click “Finish”.
- In the second last step, save the Virtual Machine by assigning a name to it.
- VMware Fusion will automatically start the virtual machine or launch it by clicking play button.
Install Windows 8 on MacBook with Boot Camp:
- Boot Camp Software[Download]
- Windows 8 DVD or ISO image
Once done with the above requirements, we can start the installation process by following the below guide:
- Create a bootable DVD for Windows 8 by using bootable DVD maker.
- Now, install Boot Camp software on your Mac.
- Once done, launch Boot Camp assistant from application-> utilities option.
- The launch screen of Boot Camp will assist you to install Windows 8 on Mac, if you are ready to install Windows 8 click “Continue”.
- In the next wizard page, select “Install Windows 7” as it will help to create partition to install Windows 8 and click “Continue”.
- Now, create Windows partition by moving slider to adjust Windows partition size. Keep the partition size in between 20-40 GB and hit “Install”.
- In the next step, insert the bootable Windows 8 DVD disc in the drive and hit “install”. While in the installation process, if you see any error message which says “Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space and need to be installed on other partition”, then just select advance drive option and press “F” key to format that partition and make it NTFS.
- In less than 30 minutes, Windows 8 will be up and start running on Mac.
The installation of Windows 8 as guest OS helps to test, check performance and can be easily removed without being worried about any software or OS crash.
Do let us know if you face any problem in installation, in your comments below.